Need some Cash for Moving Expenses?
Are you moving house or flat and need some extra cash to make the move easier?
When you’re moving houses there’s a number of different expenses that need to be accounted for.
All up, moving home can be quite an expensive exercise, so that’s where our Moving Expenses Loans come in, and they are easy to apply for online.
Use the money to pay for:
- Bond if renting and rent in advance
- New appliances to fit new spaces
- Rugs, door stoppers, heaters and the like
- Other moving expenses etc
Handy Checklist When Moving
Remember to cancel:
- Newspaper and/or milk delivery.
- Telephone, internet and cable TV.
- Gas, water and electricity (arrange a final meter reading).
Organise for moving day:
- Obtain supply of boxes (your local supermarket can be one supplier).
- Get packaging tape and heavy marker pens.
- Arrange for furniture removal (get quote, confirm time).
- Arrange care of your children on moving day.
- Make suitable arrangements for any pets.
- Arrange transit insurance and contents and fire insurance for your new home.
Notify your change of address to:
- Bank, credit card and charge card companies.
- Post office for redirection of mail.
- Elections Registrar.
- Registrar of motor vehicles and drivers license.
- Tax department.
- Insurance companies.
- Hire purchase or finance companies.
- Investment companies.
- Local council.
- Clubs and organisations.
- Police (if you own and store firearms).
- Friends and relatives.
- Magazine subscriptions.
- Doctor, dentist, accountant, lawyer.
- Clean the stove and defrost the fridge/freezer.
- Tidy the yard.
- Disconnect all appliances.
- Disconnect the TV aerial.
- Return any borrowed items.
- Throw out items that you don’t intend taking with you.
- List valuable items for special care when moving.
- Advise removal company of dangerous goods being moved (i.e. ammunition, petrol, spirits, chemicals).
- Securely pack all jewellery, money, special documents and papers (i.e. legal, tax, insurance etc).
- Set aside items you will need on the day of the move so you can take them with you (i.e. food, drinks, cleaning products).
- Pack each room leaving the boxes stacked and labelled with the room they are to be moved to. It is a good idea to write on each box a list of its general content.
- Clearly label boxes containing breakables as ‘Fragile’ and identify these items to the removal people.
- Pot and pack away plants and cuttings you are taking with you.
- Explain your packing procedure to the removal people and be at your new home when they arrive.
- Put breakables or liquid filled containers in drawers.
- Overload drawers and make furniture too heavy to shift (too much weight can damage furniture).
- Move netting, barbed wire, timber, wood, coal etc without special arrangements being made.
- Store perishable goods where they might be overlooked.
Make arrangements to:
- Enrol children in new school.
- Coordinate the forwarding of any files from the children’s previous school to their new one.
Organise for your new home:
- Newspaper delivery.
- Internet and cable TV connection.
- Gas, electricity and water.
The week before moving:
- Remind and confirm dates/times/locations for the removal company.
- Say goodbye to neighbours
One last check:
- Nothing left behind?
- No clothes at the dry cleaners?
- No gear stored away from your property?
- Electricity, gas and telephone disconnected?
- Water turned off and no taps left running?
- Windows and doors latched?
- Keys with solicitor (if appropriate)?
After it’s all over:
- Have spare keys cut.
- Make an insurance claim if any damage has occurred during the move.
- Teach children how to get to their new school.